[Commons-l] Credits in books

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Wed Oct 24 16:58:43 UTC 2007

Wednesday, 24 October 2007, Magnus Manske wrote:
> An additional, but related issue: While the ones asking for
> permission were aware of free licenses, their publisher insisted on a
> written permission (even if it's just an email, which is ridiculous).
>
> Maybe we should set up a page ([[Commons:Permission and credits]]?)
> that 1. Gives "blanket permission" for free licenses (like "By
> uploading files under a free license, the author gives permission for
> everyone to use them under certain conditions:"; IANAL)
> 2. Gives an example of an image credit

It's probably wise for others wanting to use our works, particularly in
a commercial project, to get an additional assertion that the uploader
does indeed have the right to license the work. People who aren't
familiar with Commons might not be able to tell an image with dubious
legal information from a credible one.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:LX