[Commons-l] Automatic messages to users: guessing userpreferredlanguage

Florian Straub flominator at gmx.net
Sun Oct 7 08:28:56 UTC 2007

"Alex Nordstrom" <lx at se.linux.org> wrote on Saturday, October 06, 2007 7:53
PM:

> Saturday, 6 October 2007, Platonides wrote:
> > Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> > >
> > >  * Users who can't be bothered to check their user talk pages
> > > should enable e-mail notifications. It takes all of three clicks. *
> > > Users who can't be bothered checking their user talk pages should
> > > not expect other users to jump through hoops such as registering on
> > > another site or divulging their IP address.
> >
> > You only need to tell them: You have a new message at your
> > [[commons:User Talk:Foo|commons talk page]] ~~~~
>
> That's not what the template says. The template actively discourages
> leaving messages on the talk page on which it appears.

It's the choice of the ones who read it. It's just a way to make sure, we
can keep good images with missing information.

> > On the other hand, you're welcome to nicely recommend email
> > notifications (which are a newer system than {{notify me}}).
>
> Enotif was enabled in November 2006
> [http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump_archive/2006Nov#63288405964]
> and the template was created in February 2007. In any case, the
> template is obsolete now. We shouldn't encourage people to continue
> making these demands when there's a way that doesn't inconvenience
> others.

The idea of the template was to notify the uploader by a CommonsTicker. This
will be implemented when Duesentrieb is done with his exams. As long as it
shows a way to contact users and as long as its useful we should keep it.

Not all Wikipedians are all about media files. Some occasionally write tiny
texts, the so called encyclopedia articles ....

Regards,

Flo