[Commons-l] Automatic messages to users: guessing userpreferred language

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 17:13:29 UTC 2007

Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> Saturday, 6 October 2007, Florian Straub wrote:
>> What about {{notify me}}? The users are advised to put it on their
>> user page after registration.
>
> What? We have a template encouraging this behaviour? English, Polish and
> Spanish Wikipedia are not Wikimedia Commons. Demanding that Commons
> discussions take place there is about as reasonable as asking
> notification on one's Facebook page. It's a long-standing principle on
> Wikimedia projects that discouraging use of one's talk page (and that
> includes diverting such use elsewhere) is unacceptable.
>
>  * Users who can't be bothered to check their user talk pages should
> enable e-mail notifications. It takes all of three clicks.
>  * Users who can't be bothered checking their user talk pages should not
> expect other users to jump through hoops such as registering on another
> site or divulging their IP address.
>
> Apart from the rudeness of expecting this burden to be reversed, there
> are several technical problems with this idea.

You only need to tell them: You have a new message at your
[[commons:User Talk:Foo|commons talk page]] ~~~~
Is it so difficult?
I understand that you may not want to register a new account, but
*It will be fixed with SUL
*It's also needed for other tasks, such as replacing images.
*There's a [[Locality_of_reference]]s, you will only need an account on
a quite small number of wikis.

On the other hand, you're welcome to nicely recommend email
notifications (which are a newer system than {{notify me}}).