[Commons-l] Automatic messages to users: guessing user preferred language

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Oct 4 22:57:01 UTC 2007

On 04/10/2007, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Well, it isn't really. (Though you'd be amazed what people will complain about)
> >
> > However, it is currently data that we *say* we'll keep private, so...
>
> Well right, we'd have to jump through some hoops to make the change
> but I think it may well be worth it. Perhaps tie in the data becoming
> public with the switch to SUL?
>
> I can't find where we actually state that the data will be private
> however, so I'm not sure of how we'd go about making the change.

I had assumed the privacy policy implicitly said that any information
you give us that "isn't* publicly posted is considered private, but
this may be a slightly overenthusiastic interpretation!

Information you provide in preferences seems to be ambiguous - other
than email addresses, we don't say what we do with it or how private
we consider it, but we do imply that the only things we consider
"public" are your actual edits and associated metadata.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk