[Commons-l] Obtaining copies of old photos from the Library ofCongress?

Florian Straub flominator at gmx.net
Mon Oct 1 18:03:16 UTC 2007

"David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote on Sunday, September 30, 2007 11:28
AM:

> I'm looking for replacements for [[:en:Image:Gifford-pinchot.jpg]],
> which happens to be the same image as [[:commons:Image:Gifford
> Pinchot.jpg]] - it's US State, not US Federal, so may not be PD. The
> LOC has some lovely pics, all pre-1923:
>
> http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?pp/fsaall,app,brum,detr,swann,look,gottscho,pan,horyd,genthe,var,cai,cd,hh,yan,bbcards,lomax,ils,prok,brhc,nclc,matpc,iucpub,tgmi,lamb,:@FIELD(SUBJ+@band(++Pinchot,+Gifford,+1865+1946++))
>
> So, it says "we have the neg." How does one get access to a scannable
> copy of the full-sized thing? Would they have a large scan available,
> not just the thumbnail? Etc., etc.

What about their chat feature called "Ask a librarian" on their website?
I've asked for an article from a book, they scanned and mailed the copy
about 2 hours later and the next day I even had a copy of the original
release of it.

Tell them, what you need it for. I think it's worth a try.

Best regards,

Flo