[Commons-l] Waiving Canadian moral rights?

Andy Kaplan-Myrth andy at kaplan-myrth.ca
Thu Nov 8 07:13:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm one of the Project Leads for Creative Commons Canada, and since this
thread came to my attention I thought I would try to add some context.

Padraic Ryan wrote:
> Canada, apparently, may be
> a unique jurisdiction in that it allows content creators to waive moral
> rights.

I would agree with geni that other common law jurisdictions are likely
similar in that they allow moral rights to be waived to some degree.

The situation is not as simple as this suggests, of course. While the
Canadian Copyright Act says that moral rights "may be waived in whole or
in part", there is disagreement as to whether they can be waived *in
general*, or if waivers can only apply for particular uses of a work.
For moral rights waivesrs to benefit the open community, they would need
to be general waivers for all uses of the work.

I should note that there are two categories of moral rights: the right
to attribution, and the right to integrity. Since open licences like CC
require attribution anyhow, that moral right is not an issue. When we
talk about the possibility of waiving moral rights, we're only talking
about the right of integrity -- I take it this is what Padraic meant.

> Although this does seem to be a complex, unanswered, issue, I think we
> should encourage Commons users creating Canadian works to waive these
> rights.

So here's the deal. In past years, when CC had no policy w.r.t. moral
rights, each jurisdiction that had to deal with moral rights did their
own thing. In Canada, the version 1.0 licence retained moral rights
because we were trying to stay as close to the US CC licence as
possible. In versions 2.0 and 2.5 of the Canadian CC licences, we waived
the moral right of integrity. This choice was taken for just the reason
Padraic is interested in here: some in the community feel that waiving
moral rights is required in order for the licences to be libre.

For the 3.0 Canada licences, we are following the CC policy for moral
rights that resulted from extensive discussion. Given this policy and
the issues around whether moral rights can be waived in general, the CC
Canada 3.0 licences will keep the moral right of integrity intact.

I would note that the Canadian 2.5 licences will still be out there once
the 3.0 version is released, and Canadians who want to take their
chances with waiving moral rights can still use the old versions.

Cheers,
Andy

--
Andy Kaplan-Myrth, LL.B., M.A.