[Commons-l] Professional photographers on Commons: sucess story

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 13:37:30 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 8:24 AM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Yeah. Looking at his talk page makes me sad -- the usual round of
> scripted & stacked image deletion warnings for copyright reasons. We
> need socially more appropriate ways to deal with copyright issues.

This is one of the reasons I've advocated that add a realtime web chat
feature.  New user education should be handled in a human-to-human
real-time manner as much as possible.  We probably do not have the
resources to handle all cases and all users this way, but especially
for the newest users we should make an effort.

There are a number of other improvements that could be made. For
example, the notices that we give people could be made to sound more
friendly and personal, and less like a parking tickets. But I think
that ultimately it comes back to the software:  If we won't accept
people uploading without identifying the author (a good thing!)  then
we should have an upload form that makes such mandatory information
actually mandatory.