[Commons-l] New JavaScript toy: "Gallery preview"

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Tue May 15 08:41:42 UTC 2007

On 5/15/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/05/07, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I put it under [[MediaWiki talk:Gallerypreview.js]]. Installation
> > instructions on the page:
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Gallerypreview.js
> >
> > (Now that I read it, "gallerypreview" is not exactly correct; catchy
> > name, anyone?)
>
> Well, 'gallerypreview' is COMPLETELY the wrong name. it should be
> 'categorypreview'. :)

I'll move it once I'm admin :-)

> Secondly can you do the same thing for actual gallery pages? (main
> namespace) e.g.
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Fort_Siloso%2C_Sentosa%2C_Aug_06.JPG
> this image is in a gallery, but no categories.

I can find all pages (in the main namespace) that include this image,
but neither query.php nor api.php let me find the other images used on
these pages. So, can't be done with JavaScript ATM.

> Thirdly.... can you please write it into MW???? :]

Of course I can, and it would be faster and would take care of the
gallery issue. Alas, experience tells me that it will never get turned
on, and an extension would never be installed on the live sites.

> Cool stuff, as usual, Magnus. :)

Thanks :-)

Magnus