[Commons-l] Flommons!

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 21 20:54:29 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, Platonides <Platonides at gmail.com> wrote:
> Magnus Manske wrote:
> > So I'm learning Perl now. So I needed a project to sharpen my
> > programming claws with. So I remembered people not happy with the
> > MediaWiki commons interface. So I thought I'd steal from the best and
> > wrote a new one.
> >
> > Flickr-Like cOMMONS = Flommons
>
> Nice work

Thanks.

> > * Can be slooow at times, since there's no index on img_user/img_user_text
> How does MW handle that then? Or do you mean on the toolserver? (=poke DaB)

It doesn't. I don't see a link on commons that says "user gallery".
It's only relevant for pages that show files uploaded by a single
user. Also, the search uses MySQL LIKE "%" stuff, which tends to be
long even on an index.

> > * No login or upload (yet?)
> > * Normal blue links stay in Flommons, light-blue links go to Commons
> You should add red-links (or is it light-red?) for non-existing pages
> (as most image talk).

Good idea.

> > The thing is a single Perl script. Maybe I should go and rewrite
> > MediaWiki like that. Oh wait... (anyone aroung long enough to get this
> > joke?)
> easy: [[Mediawiki#History]]
> But wait... how is it you're learning Perl *now*?

Yeah... I kinda avoided that by rewriting everything in PHP the other day ;-)

> Is it viewable?  common.php?common_source=flommons.pl is blank ;)

Not yet, which is good, because it contains my database pwd in plain text ;-)

> PS: {{CopyrightByWikimedia}} images doesn't show license, i guess they
> pd? :D

Currently, all categories that contain "PD" or "GFDL" or "CC-" are
considered licenses ;-)

Magnus