[Commons-l] Flommons!

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:10:54 UTC 2007

So I'm learning Perl now. So I needed a project to sharpen my
programming claws with. So I remembered people not happy with the
MediaWiki commons interface. So I thought I'd steal from the best and
wrote a new one.

Flickr-Like cOMMONS = Flommons

Misc examples:
* Single picture
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/cgi-bin/flommons.pl?user=&mode=single_image&image=Venice_-_Church_of_St._Maria_Formosa_reflected_on_water.jpg

* Files uploaded by a user (newest images first)
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/cgi-bin/flommons.pl?user=&foruser=Magnus_Manske&mode=user_files&before=20061109094531

* Category view (newest images first)
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/cgi-bin/flommons.pl?user=&mode=category&category=Canals_of_Venice

* Welcome screen (as me, though there's no real login)
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/cgi-bin/flommons.pl?user=Magnus_Manske

* Search results
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/cgi-bin/flommons.pl?user=Magnus_Manske&mode=search&query=stern&doit=Search

Notes:
* Can be slooow at times, since there's no index on img_user/img_user_text
* No login or upload (yet?)
* Normal blue links stay in Flommons, light-blue links go to Commons

The thing is a single Perl script. Maybe I should go and rewrite
MediaWiki like that. Oh wait... (anyone aroung long enough to get this
joke?)

Magnus

P.S.: Comments always welcome :-)