[Commons-l] Audio file sizes

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 6 19:59:24 UTC 2007

> Then we would, either via an automatic transcoding bot or via an
> upload enhancement to mediawiki automatically generate 40kbit/sec
> (dialup) and 96kbit/sec (broadband)  versions from the lossless. These
> versions are what we'd link from our other projects.

According to your own reference, the threshold where most listeners
cannot detect the difference between compressed and uncompressed is
128 kbit/s. This, then, should be the default quality threshold we
serve, if we use lossless as a basis for conversion. I am opposed to
accepting detectable quality degradation for marginal bandwidth
savings. We're not YouTube; we should try to set a standard for video,
audio and image quality.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic