[Commons-l] We may have somewhere to send the exhibitionists

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 12:10:16 UTC 2007

On 21/06/07, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 6/21/07, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On a tangent, what do some of the Commons regulars think of the system
> > Facebook has for tagging people in photos? That would seem to be an
> > application that would be very useful for Commons.
>
> Is there a description for non-facebook-users? Or do I have to become a member?

I independently came up with, and sort-of worked out how to build, a
system like that one... and then someone said to me, as I was
explaining my wonderful idea, "what, you mean like Facebook"? I hadn't
used it, but they helpfully showed me...
I felt a little silly :-)

Basically, you take a photo, you allow people to click somewhere on it
and tag that point as being a named person. It can then use this to
find all photos with a certain person in, or "name" the person (via
mouseover?) when looking at the photo.

It has various elegant applications if you want to take it to the next
level - the idea I was thinking of was for archival photograph
databases, where you could select a little rectangle around the face
and tag it. Later, you could ask the system "show me Joe Smith" and
have it generate a set of all these headshots to help figure out
whether or not he appeared in an unlabelled image...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk