[Commons-l] (Free) culture clash: Virgin ad campaign and Flickr photos

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 22:58:30 UTC 2007

On 23/07/07, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some people (especially Flickr users) may well have heard of this
> story already; an Australian ad campaign for Virgin Mobile Australia
> has been using photos (mainly CC licenced ones) from Flickr. It's
> causing some consternation not only because of the somewhat offensive
> content of some of the ads, but because the people behind the ad
> campaign didn't ask permission from the photographers - or perhaps
> more importantly, the subjects - before using the photos.

This is a pretty interesting case. It shows far there is to go in
terms of educating people about copyleft and the Creative Commons
licenses in particular - both people who choose to use the licenses
for their own work, and others who reuse CC-licensed work.

I can't imagine Virgin is so cheap that wouldn't pay for a
photographer, so it must be part of their 'we're edgy' strategy.

It will be interesting to see if the subjects or photographers take
any legal action. Then the real fun will start.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/