[Commons-l] (Free) culture clash: Virgin ad campaign and Flickr photos

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 21:38:15 UTC 2007

Stephen Bain wrote:
> Some people (especially Flickr users) may well have heard of this
> story already; an Australian ad campaign for Virgin Mobile Australia
> has been using photos (mainly CC licenced ones) from Flickr. It's
> causing some consternation not only because of the somewhat offensive
> content of some of the ads, but because the people behind the ad
> campaign didn't ask permission from the photographers - or perhaps
> more importantly, the subjects - before using the photos.
>
> I just blogged about it if anyone's interested:
>
> http://thoughtsfordeletion.blogspot.com/2007/07/free-culture-clash.html

Very interesting.
Sadly, this will move people for non-commercial, while ShareAlike would
stop such practises too, as we always recommended.

Now, i wonder what would happen if some of the flickr users changed its
image from Cc-by to a more restrictive license.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/babasu/289444685/ says it's Cc-by-nc-sa-2.0
Clearly incompatible with Virgin use. I see no trace that the image ever
had another license (Google cache, archive.org...) We complain about
flickr's MISSING of license history. Maybe Virgin had lawyers signining
documents stating the license they see on it?

damon at teacherjames.com
http://flickr.com/photos/sesh00/515961023/#comment72157600562573779
is trying to make a case against Virgin. This will make a very important
law precedent on free licenses, images and multiple countries.
This really concerns commons.

When more news appear, please post them here.