[Commons-l] CC by 3.0 not allowed on Commons?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Jul 15 04:17:12 UTC 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 12:01 PM, David Gerard wrote:
> I'm sure they suit CC's purposes - but CC, lovely as they are, are not
> Wikimedia and their purposes are not our purposes.

Actually, in this case, our purposes are 100% perfectly aligned.  The
understanding that many people have about this is flawed.

The CC 3.0 Attribution license is fine.  I wish the passage in
question were more clearly worded, sure.  But there has been
absolutely no intention to have moral rights arbitrarily extended
into new areas.

The basic concept is... there were concerns that failing to
acknowledge moral rights in jurisdictions which have them could
possibly invalidate the license.  So the intention is to have the
license explicitly mention them and indicate that they exist, without
adding anything new at all.

--Jimbo