[Commons-l] CC by 3.0 not allowed on Commons?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Jul 15 04:14:30 UTC 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 11:41 AM, David Gerard wrote:
> On 14/07/07, Fruggo <fruggo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe under UK law it is possible to waive moral rights, but under
>> Dutch law
>> it isn't.
>> The restrictions those inalienable moral rights place on what you
>> can do
>> with the work aren't any different from the restrictions Dutch
>> (and other
>> countries) laws place on the use of the work.
>

> However, the wording of the licenses appears to place usage
> restrictions upon the works in countries where those laws do not
> apply.

So I can tell you, having conferred with everyone involved, that this
is absolutely NOT the intention.

I am on the board of creative commons and thus privy to the
discussions.  I think there is a clumsy wording here that needs to be
clarified for non lawyers, but all the lawyers say the same thing: no
additional moral rights in countries where those laws do not apply.

I am working to get a clear statement and clarification on this.  We
can be annoyed if there is an ambiguity, but rest assured: the
intention is 100% pure here, as far as I understand it.

--Jimbo