[Commons-l] Query on suitable text for Wikimedia Commons reuse FAQ

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 21:40:55 UTC 2007

> 1. Could you please check what is written there about the GFDL, the
> GPL and the LGPL? (There are some images on Commons that are GPL/LGPL,
> e.g. screen shots and icons from programs.)

For simple redistribution, include the version you were given access
to and its complete history with attribution, and include the GFDL
(linked on the same website or reprinted in print).

Fails to mention that you need to preserve "the copyright notices"
(AKA invariant sections for sneaky people).

You derivatives section fails to mention  "Preserve all the copyright
notices of the Document" (we never did find out if this included
watermarks on images). Dito "Preserve the section Entitled "History"
(all 33,566 entries of it in the case of  [[en:George W. Bush]])
Technicaly there is also the "Preserve any Warranty Disclaimers." but
by then I think we are being mean.

> Do you have any simple
> guidance to give people interested in reusing GFDL images?

Contact the author and get them released under more reasonable
conditions. The GFDL is not reasonably compatible with dead tree
technology. In the case of electronic stuff I would certianly suggest
considering other options first.

--
geni