[Commons-l] Use Flickr? (was: My Photo Was Reused (God or Bad News?))

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 05:28:11 UTC 2007

On 08/07/07, Casey Brown <cbrown1023 at comcast.net> wrote:

> During an IRC discussion earlier today, Rama suggested we use Flickr to help
> increase our exposure - per the recent conversation in the "My photo was
> reused" thread. We discussed the fact that we could upload our Featured
> Pictures using a Wikimedia Commons account; hopefully people would see these
> images and ask to use them, thereby increasing the visibility and knowledge
> of the Commons. Cbrown1023 created the account to ensure nobody else could
> steal the name, and now we're bringing this idea here to see what the
> community has to say :) May also be brought up on the village pump if it
> seems wise.
>
>  The e-mail address has been temporarily set to info-en at wikimedia.org so
> requests, etc. can be handled there in private; we also thought of
> requesting an info-commons at wikimedia.org address (if one doesn't currently
> exist?) for such purposes. The fact that requests may be in many different
> languages as Commons is multilingual (Flickr too) would also be a good
> reason for not having things sent to info-en but to info-commons directly.
>
>  Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

Interesting idea. I'm sure a bot could be written to do the daily upload.

I'm not sure it would help a ton in terms of exposure, but it couldn't
hurt, hey.

Flickr is geared towards people uploading their own work. It might be
worth checking if there is something in the TOS against uploading
others' work (regardless or whether or not license terms allow it).

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/