[Commons-l] Use Flickr? (was: My Photo Was Reused (God or Bad News?))

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 05:25:28 UTC 2007

> As a part of this brainstorming, please know that we have very good
> friends at Flickr.  I see Stewart and Caterina socially fairly often,
> and of course they are huge fans.  So if there is anything we need
> from Flickr, let's discuss it, write it up, and I can ask them.

- Making visible a "license history" would solve some problems, if not
implementing Eugene's idea of only allowing users to change to a
less-restrictive license.
- Flickr is the biggest 'user' of Creative Commons license, in terms
of letting ITS users choose to use them. This is really a complaint
about CC, but Flickr could help: stop using the vague phrase "some
rights reserved" to refer to ALL CC licenses and instead use the
specific name of the license. Teaching people how to distinguish
between the various licenses is made extremely difficult when Flickr
only uses tiny icons and no actual visible text, to identify the
relevant license.

Also regarding PD releases, there is a "CC-PD" "license" which Flickr
could let people choose to use.

regards
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/