[Commons-l] Use Flickr? (was: My Photo Was Reused (God or Bad News?))

Ayelie ayelie.at.large at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 04:08:29 UTC 2007

On 7/8/07, Eugene Zelenko <eugene.zelenko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 7/7/07, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> > As a part of this brainstorming, please know that we have very good
> > friends at Flickr.  I see Stewart and Caterina socially fairly often,
> > and of course they are huge fans.  So if there is anything we need
> > from Flickr, let's discuss it, write it up, and I can ask them.
>
> Perhaps will be good idea to discuss issue with license change on
> flickr (old Commons' headache :-).
>
> Free licenses are irrevocable. Only changes to less restrictive
> license should be allowed (for example, CC-BY-SA -> CC-BY).
>
> With best regards,
> Eugene.

Hmm, good points... also, what about an option that allows releasing into
the public domain? Right now they don't have that option, it's a CC license
or All Rights Reserved. In many cases (such as if we were to upload some of
our FPs to Flickr) we would run into issues with having to say they are
under a CC license when in fact they are PD or other.

--
Ayelie
  ~Editor at Large