[Commons-l] Use Flickr? (was: My Photo Was Reused (God or Bad News?))

Casey Brown cbrown1023 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 8 01:13:55 UTC 2007

During an IRC discussion earlier today, Rama suggested we use Flickr to help
increase our exposure - per the recent conversation in the "My photo was
reused" thread. We discussed the fact that we could upload our Featured
Pictures using a Wikimedia Commons account; hopefully people would see these
images and ask to use them, thereby increasing the visibility and knowledge
of the Commons. Cbrown1023 created the account to ensure nobody else could
steal the name, and now we're bringing this idea here to see what the
community has to say :) May also be brought up on the village pump if it
seems wise.

The e-mail address has been temporarily set to info-en at wikimedia.org so
requests, etc. can be handled there in private; we also thought of
requesting an info-commons at wikimedia.org address (if one doesn't currently
exist?) for such purposes. The fact that requests may be in many different
languages as Commons is multilingual (Flickr too) would also be a good
reason for not having things sent to info-en but to info-commons directly.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

--
Casey Brown ( Cbrown1023 )
Ayelie ( Editor at Large )