[Commons-l] HotCat JavaScript tool, V0.1

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 7 15:37:49 UTC 2007

New experimental tool to quickly add new categories. Called "HotCat",
in reminiscence of "hot dog". Sorry.

1. Go to [1], or add "includePage('MediaWiki:HotCat.js');" to your
monobook.js (do the latter to see the full functionality)
2. In the list of categories at the bottom of the page, notice the final "(+)"
3. Click on it to add a new category
4. An input box opens. It will suggest a category name "as you type".
5. Click "OK" to add the category.

NOTES:
* If you got there via [1], you will only get an open edit window.
This is due to the "script test mode". If you add the script to your
monobook.js, you will get the full functionality, that is, it will add
the category at the bottom of the page and save it.
* The script actually retrieves several matches to what you type, but
I was too lazy to add a listbox with options. Maybe someone else will
implement that :-)
* This can be adapted to replace/remove categories. Requires some text
parsing, though. Maybe I will do it later, if noone beats me to it :-)

Cheers,
Magnus

[1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Image:Valeriana_officinalis_2007-06-02_%28flower_with_bee%29.jpg&withJS=MediaWiki:HotCat.js