[Commons-l] Javascript-Extension Configuration-Framework

Dschwen lists at schwen.de
Thu Jul 5 10:21:46 UTC 2007

With the increasing amount of Javascript code included in the default
configuration of Commons I feel the need for a convenient configuration
mechanism to enable and disable specific extensions and to set customizable
parameters.

I created such a framework here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:JSconfig.js

It allows the creation of parameters (with descriptions and default values).
These parameters are used to dynamically generate a new Tab in on the
MediaWiki Preferences page. The preferences on this page are saved as cookies
(and automatically restored from the cookies).

Extensions can conveniently define a parameter set and query it without having
to worry about a user interface to change them and a logic to store them.

It needs some further polishing to make the preferences page more structured,
but I allready have some ideas. If this gets adopted I'll certainly put some
more work into it.

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dschwen
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dschwen