[Commons-l] 'Did you know?' ... The family tree of [[Category:Copyright statuses]] and our broken category system.

samuli at samulilintula.net samuli at samulilintula.net
Tue Jan 30 09:33:04 UTC 2007

> samuli at samulilintula.net wrote:
>
>> In fact, finding a category is often hardest when the categories aren't
>> specific enough. And when it comes to finding an image, for example, for
>> an article about art nouveau/jugend windows, [[:Category:Windows]] is
>> just
>> useless. We do need categories like [[:Category:Jugend windows in
>> Finland]].
>
> What about the category intersection tool mentioned above?

Does it exist? Or is it just a theoretical concept?

Yes, it would work fine if all our users were perfect. Let's continue with
the same example and imagine what Catgory:Finland would become like.
10.000 images, maybe? Then we have this dufus (see
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Welcome_log) who uploads an
image with only [[Category:Finland]]. That image will be lost forever. No
one will ever find it and no one will ever be able to use.

Thanks to what we have now, that wasn't the fate of these images:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&offset=20070114175434&limit=60&target=Samulili

--
Ystävällisin terveisin,
Samuli Lintula