[Commons-l] Commons search engine ranking, Was: Killing the main namespace?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 02:05:20 UTC 2007

> There are a lot of things we could do to enhance the popularity of
> commons, but the page name issue really should be solved first.
>
> It's in the long term plans for mediawiki to support filenames which
> are unrelated to the file type.... but even using that will require
> massive renames on commons.  Does anyone have any suggestions?   There
> are a lot of possibilities.

I would imagine some renaming thing would be part of the transition,
don't you? Even if it was just Foo.jpg to Foo-jpg or 'Foo jpg'.

I am pretty sure the file storage transition thing will also allow
image renaming as a consequence.

The limited details I have found about it are at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_roadmap ("Expand FileStore to
all image storage for filename reform, better cache/mirroring
ability")
and http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/FileStore .

> Another question is.. are we ready to handle an increase in public visibility?

IMO that's a pretty clear "of course not".

Anyway, just wanted to say that I strongly oppose disallowing
anon-page creation, at least until SUL has been implemented. After
that, I will re-evaluate my position.

Just delete the crud. It's not a disaster, it's just the fact in the
life of a completely open wiki.

cheers
Brianna