[Commons-l] Killing the main namespace?

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Mon Jan 29 16:53:25 UTC 2007

Hi,

Gregory Maxwell a écrit :
> I see a lot of misplaced pages, spam, and utter insanity appear in the
> main namespace on commons.  There is also a lot of confusion about how
> the main namespace should be used.
>
> What do you think of the idea of moving all the galleries to a
> gallery: namespace, then reserving the main namespace for main pages
> and pretty much nothing else. After that point we could prevent main
> namespace page creation and make the edit page give a nice "You are
> confused, here is how you find help" message.

I am obviously against deleting the main namespace on Commons.
It has many useful uses. Please see for example for a chronological
classification of data, which is not possible with a category:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mohandas_K._Gandhi
Also other namespaces have also a bad referencement.

> The work it would take to accomplish this could be completely
> automated, although some inter project cooperation would be required
> to fix gallery linking templates and the like.
>
> I see a lot of potential to reduce confusion, and not a lot of real
> downsides. So I must be missing something. Thoughts?

Regards,

Yann