[Commons-l] UK government information changes on the way?

J JIH jus168jih at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 14:02:02 UTC 2007

This is interesting when British governmental information may become
more public. While I support pursuing with the UK government, I also
consider it needed to pursue with the USA government to accept the
rule of the shorter term.

Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain#The_rule_of_the_shorter_term
and you will find that without honoring the rule of the shorter term
of the Berne Convention in the US Copyright Law, certain works may be
in the public domain in their home countries, but still considered
legally copyrighted in the USA. This is harming the Wiki projects
unless the server can ever be moved to a jurisdiction honoring the
rule of the shorter term like Macao, but the Foundation has no such a
plan.

How about using http://www.petitiononline.com/ to pursue reclaiming
the public domain? I would like to strongly encourage everyone to sign
the following petitions involving copyright and public domain:

http://www.petitiononline.com/eldred/petition.html Reclaim the Public Domain
http://www.petitiononline.com/mrap/petition.html M.R.A. Platform
http://www.petitiononline.com/ukpod001/petition.html Podcasters'
Rights and the WIPO Broadcast Treaty
http://www.petitiononline.com/oldgame/petition.html Abandonware

Jusjih, an admin at Commons, Wikisource, Wiktionary, and Wikipedia
uncomfortable with excessive copyright blocking orphaned works