[Commons-l] Anglo-Saxonisation of the commons

Cool Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 01:36:16 UTC 2007

I really find this entire discussion unhelpful. Yelling at each other will
not solve software issues we face.

As for my stance (just to identify the problem): We currently have a mess
with "country" specific categories and galleries (Country names City names
and etc). It is very hard to follow what certain pages supposed to lead
to... (I can't read Arabic script for example).

What we want is multi-lingual page names. There are a few existing solutions
we may want to consider:

1. First one is {{DISPLAYTITLE:<title>}}. This Magic-word template if turned
on renames the title of the page no matter what it really is.
2. Then we also have class="multilingual" as it is used on
meta.wikimedia.org. You can see it in action at [[meta:Stewards/elections
2006-2 <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/elections_2006-2>]]. I do
not believe this feature is turned on on commons.
3. The combination of #1 and #2. class="multilingual" can be used to
manipulate the {{DISPLAYTITLE:}} usages and display title based on language
setting. I am not certain how well that would work.

Obviously a mediawiki rewrite to make it simpler and would be preferable.

      - Cool Cat