[Commons-l] Fwd: Share-Alike with images

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 07:28:08 UTC 2007

> But CC-By-SA is claiming the film is a derivative of the sound
> recording despite film and sound being seperate under uk law. So even
> though I have made no changes to the music CC-By-SA is trying to claim
> it is under copyright again because is it is part of a film.

There are at least three copyrights potentially at play:

* Any copyright(s) subsisting in the music,
* Any copyright(s) subsisting in the moving image,
* The copyright in the film, created by synching the music and moving image.

If the music is under CC-BY-SA, then the copyright in the synching is
thus also under CC-BY-SA because the licence treats it as a derivative
work. They remain as separate copyrights.

Note that the text of the licence makes no express comments about
synching music that is not under CC-BY-SA, which is the premise of
your example.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com