[Commons-l] Sound files

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 07:10:42 UTC 2007

Hoi,
I read this in digest mode so let me answer things together.

The reason why .ogg files are not great is because indeed it is a lossy
algorithm. There is some great software to analyse pronunciation files;
a program called "praat" is worth mentioning it is even licensed under
GPL. There is even functionality in there to do with IPA transcription.

Gregory's proposal to use Ogg/FLAC is not helpfull. This is not the
format that is used to analyse pronunciation files. The notion that a
specific quality was "the gold standard" at the time is indeed that. It
used to be, times have changed.

The Shtooka program that we are talking about CAN create both a WAV and
an OGG file. It just needs asking. It would be helpful if we learn
sooner rather than later what the outcome is of this request.

Thanks,
    GerardM