[Commons-l] Metadata and Professional usage of Commons photographs

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Fri Dec 7 12:17:10 UTC 2007

EXIF is not IPTC metadata - see http://www.exif.org/ versus
http://www.iptc.org/photometadata/ and so on.

Let's open a can of worms!

No ... let's write an extension to, or core for, MediaWiki that only
permits successful image upload when all metadata is filled in on a
web-form during submission, and that form's blanks get:

(a) automatically read from metadata within images that already have it
at the time of upload; and / or

(b) gets that metadata inserted by the end user / submitter for any data
that is missing; and

(c) contemporaneous data gets inserted, such as IP and date and user ID.

I have my camera automatically put "peterblaise.com" in the EXIF of my
images immediately during the making of even the latent image (that's
when my copyright happens), but many image converters strip out EXIF and
IPTC metadata.  Many people superimpose their copyright IN the image
fascia, but cropping or cloning can remove that, and too overwhelming a
copyright notice changes the image and often makes it purposeless.
Rather than contact you with a credit card (are you even ready?) for a
non-watermarked copy, and await your response, they will move on to a
non-watermarked image.

The world's most popular free Google Picasa strips metadata at the time
of export and replaces it with "Picasa" in the "Byline:"!

That newspaper should never have published that image without having,
and being able to provide on demand, an audit trail of it's origins.  If
Joe Reader sent it in, then the newspaper should have that audit trail,
and then Joe Reader is the one to sue (civil) for compensation, and also
complain to the authorities (criminal) for prosecution.  If the
newspaper uses Picasa and just publishes anything it wants, it should be
confronted on both civil and criminal counts.

Back at ya:

Q: How can any of us prove the picture was ours before someone else
publishes it?