[Commons-l] Wikimedia Outreach Project

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 22:37:15 UTC 2007

On 31/08/2007, Platonides <Platonides at gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
> > If we run a bot to add a [[Category:No language templates]], we are at
> > the same point IMHO.
> >
> > A picture with an {{en}} template would be skipped. Instead we should
> > mark it with the following categories:
> >
> > [[Category: no french template]]
> > [[Category: no german template]]
> > [[Category: no spanish template]]
> > [[Category: no italian template]]
> >
> > etc..
> >
> > This way people can work. French people work on french templates,
> > italian on italian, and so on. If we have just a category
> > ([[Category:No language templates]]), this will be overfilled.
>
> Better do it at the toolserver. So you can ask to a page: give me some
> pages without X translation which have in Y or Z languages.

I strongly agree: use the toolserver, not categories. We do need some
way of really encouraging people to add translations, and figure out
which ones need them (esp. starting with POTD/FP and QI) but I don't
think categories are the way to go. Possibly invisible templates, but
a toolserver thing that can just figure it out is even better.

Bouncey2k, thanks for starting the itwikipedia page. I hope it takes off!

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/