[Commons-l] Wikimedia Outreach Project

Andrew bouncey2k at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:16:55 UTC 2007

Hi,
I found really good the Wikimedia Outreach Project, which tries to
improve the relationships between sister projects and Commons.
The it.wiki community has talked long about this.

The description of the pictures are almost always in english (anyway
in a single language: the language of the uploader) and this makes
things not easy for those who explore commons and want to understand
what the descriptions say.
I was wondering "what about a requiring-language template?"

For example we could add in the information template - in the
description field - the main language-templates:

{{Information
|Description =
{{de|...}}
{{en|...}}

When a language-template is not filled it could appear

en: description of XXX
fr: *description in french language required*
it: descrizione di XXX
ecc..

When a language is missing, the picture could be automatically put in
a category like [[Category: French description required]].