[Commons-l] Making damn sure image attribution is very clear

James Duncan Davidson james at duncandavidson.com
Sat Aug 25 19:36:59 UTC 2007

As the guy who posted about this on his blog, I wanted to add in some
additional comments...

1) Sorry that I hit everything in the middle of an outage. I've since
edited my blog post to reflect that as it didn't need to be part of
the original record.

2) I'd really appreciate consideration of changing the policy of not
attributing third party photographs where they are displayed. There
are many reasons for this, but primary is that it's an accepted
practice to credit photographs with the photograph itself. As well,
the Creative Commons attribution restriction does state that the
attribution be given in a manner reasonable to the medium and the
means. By crediting in a manner that is accepted and practiced in the
photographic industry, it helps in a small way to let photographers
know if the CC-license their material, it'll be used in a way that
respects their wishes. Placing that data one click away is not
obvious to users and doesn't feel "right" from the perspective of a
copyright holder.

3) EXIF metadata should be preserved, even on resized images.
Thumbnails can be recreated, so junking those isn't an issue. But
stripping unrecoverable information, especially that which may
contain author and license information, is a problem when the images
are borrowed and used downstream. I wish I had a good way to strip
just thumbnails, but I don't currently know of one. Flickr has the
same practice as well, and it's annoying....

I realize that I'm not a part of your community and that I'm
injecting an outside viewpoint. And, as a third party, there's only
so much I can do. But I'm more than happy to discuss these issues if
it is helpful.

James Duncan Davidson
james at duncandavidson.com
+1 503 784 8747