[Commons-l] Need Advice on Image Permissions

David Blomstrom webmaster at geobop.org
Mon Aug 20 23:46:23 UTC 2007

Well, here are my observations up to this point:

It's obvious that the subject of Wikimedia image permissions is complex
and confusing even to members of this group.

I have two groups of websites, a series of political websites with no
advertising and a series of "general audience" websites that are
educational AND commercial, primarily in their use of ads, especially
Google AdSense.

It sounds like I could use images licensed under either Creative License
or GNU on my political sites with virtually no fear of being sued.
However, it's POSSIBLE that doing so could lead to me forfeiting
ownership of material I created. In other words, if I write an article
about the relationships between Bill Gates and George W. Bush and
illustrate it with photos of both men derived from Creative or GNU, then
it's possible that people could begin copying any text I wrote, claiming
it is no longer protected by copyright.

If I use such images on my educational/commercial websites, it similarly
appears very unlikely that anyone would ever sue me - but the
possibility exists. It's further possible that I could lose copyright
protection of any text and images I created.

At least, that's what I tentatively infer from the comments regarding
the Creative license. Is it fair to say the same applies to images
licensed under GNU, or is that a little safer?

Since I can't afford an attorney at the moment, I'm rethinking my use of
Wikipedia images. On the other hand, I see people freely using Wikipedia
content all over the Internet. Either they never bothered to research
the legal issues or they were misinformed. Or perhaps they merely
figured the odds of incurring legal costs is too trivial to be concerned
with; kind of like downloading music.

I think www.answer.com is an example of a website that makes abundant
use of Wikipedia content (at least, text, but images, too, I believe).
Of course, they probably have an attorney who has worked out an
agreement with Wikipedia.

Thanks again for all the tips.

--
www.geobop.org - Family Websites