[Commons-l] Need Advice on Image Permissions

Benjamin Esham bdesham at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 15:29:38 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:

> Bryan Tong Minh wrote:
>
> > First of all, there is
> > <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reuse>. If you still have any
> > questions, feel free to let us know! We are always happy to help, and it
> > will also help us improving the reuse page.
>
> In particular, if any aspect of that page is less than clear, please ask
> for more detail - that page was written specifically to answer questions
> like yours.

I have a question about the Creative Commons ShareAlike licenses.  (I
thought I had become fairly knowledgeable about copyright since becoming
involved in Wikipedia, but maybe not ;-))  Does the ShareAlike requirement
apply for *every* reuse of the image, or just for the creation of derivative
works?  I had always been under the impression that, for example, a website
using a CC-SA image would have to be CC-SA itself.  Is it the case that the
sharing alike would apply only to the image?

Of course, the definition of what exactly constitutes a "derivative work" is
another issue entirely, but it seems I may have been mistaken about one of
the fundamental principles of the CC licenses.  Can someone clear this up
for me?  (I'd be more than happy to add such a clarification to
[[Commons:Reuse]].)

--
Benjamin D. Esham
E-mail/Jabber: bdesham at gmail.com | AIM bdesham128 | PGP D676BB9A