[Commons-l] New de-adminship policy

Nilfanion nilfanion at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 13 12:35:24 UTC 2007

I fail to see why people are making such a big deal of this. Adminship is
not a badge of rank, but a set of tools. If you need them have them; if you
don't, don't. If you have no interest in doing administrative work on
Commons, holding Commons adminship is potentially harmful - as another user
may approach you requesting admin help.

Commons RfA is ridiculously simple to pass in any case - its not like the
freak show that en.wikipedia RfA is. Given that if you decide you want the
sysop bit back after all a full RfA is not a big deal (or may not even be
required
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons:Administrators%27_noticeboard&oldid=6881822#Any_bureaucrats_in_the_house.3F
).

As far as I know there has always been an inactivity policy, this has merely
crystallised it. Due to taking a wiki-break I was not involved in the
promulgation of this policy, but I was aware it was ongoing. Personally,
there is only ONE issue I have with the exact phrasing. That is not all
admin actions are logged, the policy is not about all admin actions but all
*logged* admin actions.

Access to http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Undelete is useful in
cases like: An image is deleted on Commons as copyrighted. However, it is
used on en.wiki where it would have a solid fair use claim. A commons admin
can grab the deleted picture and re-upload with minimal effort; but a
non-admin would have to jump through a number of hoops first. This issue is
more valid in reverse, as being able to see the original en.wp page of a
Commons image is frequently useful in resolving sourcing issues.

Fundamentally however, I agree with Delphine's point. If you don't care for
Commons adminship - let it lapse, you won't miss it. If you do care for it,
delete a few images from
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Unknown. You will no longer
be "at risk", and you will have helped the more active
Commons admins with a major backlog.

Nilfanion