[Commons-l] Project Peach

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 02:51:43 UTC 2007

On 8/11/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:

> What exactly does Blender do?

It's a pretty flexible 3D modelling program which can also do keyframe
animation. See [[blender (software)]] on enwiki.

> Is it the program you could use to make
> a Pixar animation film? (potentially)

If you had enough processing power, sure. Elephants Dream (11 mins
long) took 125 days to render on a 2.1 teraflop cluster of 240
dual-core Xserves. Oh and don't forget RAM, Elephants Dream used up to
2.8GB per frame.

> Does Commons accept Blender
> working/output files? If not, should we?

I believe the .blend format is a container type format similar to ogg.
You put model, scene, texture etc information into the one file and it
can be read by any version of Blender. I don't know if it can be read
by any other programs.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com