[Commons-l] Public domain worldwide?

Fredrik Josefsson fred_chessplayer at yahoo.se
Sat Apr 29 13:24:46 UTC 2006

Hi. Are images on Wikimedia Commons have to be public domain worldwide  or should we take some prejudice of the servers location in the U.S.?

  As is well known, images published before 1923 in the U.S. are public  domain in the U.S and probably worldwide (unless the opposite can be  suspected). Images published anywhere in the world before 1923 is also  public domain in the United States , but many other countries apply the  70 years pma -- "after death of author".

  How zealous should we be? Is the 70 pma always to be applied?

  What if it is uncertain who the creator is, and whether he did more  than 70 years ago -- would it then be possible to keep the images for  the time being if the image was created before 1923 (such as images  from World War I)?

  / Fred (a.k.a. [[User:Fred-Chess]])