[Commons-l] Meta templates in other languages

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 11:07:25 UTC 2006

> We have been requested not to use meta templates. But
> they are used on the Commons a lot for other language.
> In the template Copyvio there's even two meta
> templates (
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Copyvio ) .

Who were we requested by? Or do you mean, in a general sense, as in
[[w:Wikipedia:Avoid using meta-templates]]?

> 1. Question: Is this really detremental for the server
> performance? To me it seems possible that the extra
> server power it takes to invoke templates on Wikipedia
> projects is an extra strain on server resources (as it
> were an additional meta template). What do the
> developers say?

Brion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Avoid_using_meta-templates/Archive_3#Brion.27s_comment

I don't think the meta templates we're using are the kind people on
en.wp get worried about.  They're talking about complex, nasty beasts
like [[template:qif]] rather than just nested templates like we use...
I think. Plus Duesentrieb's meta-templates are empty, AFAIK, so I
doubt they can do much harm. And lastly... Commons doesn't have
anywhere near the traffic of en.wp.

> Furthermore, I find it useless to have links to
> translation of templates for all minor languages such
> as Alemannisch, Asturianu, Brezhoneg, etc. To me, it
> is sufficient to have translation in French, Spanish,
> Italian, Chinese, etc (the larger languages). Isn't
> this Alemannisch , etc, just some kind of vanity
> thing? I mean, they would have to know at least one
> other language anyways.

What is the alternative? Only allow people to translate into "allowed"
languages? I don't think so. People will only translate what they
want. Banning people from translating into Alemannisch will not make
them translate into a more popular language. So who does the extra (if
superfluous) translation hurt? No one. Who does it help? Well,
possibly someone. It might also, as I think Arnomane once said, shame
the speakers of more popular languages into keeping their translations
up to date. :)

Brianna (User:pfctdayelise)

--
"Mathematicians do it with Nobel's wife."