[Cloud] [Cloud-announce] Change to how Cloud VPS and Toolforge contact Wikis

Arturo Borrero Gonzalez aborrero at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 25 10:55:42 UTC 2021

Hello,

we are planning to change how Cloud VPS instances and Toolforge tools contact
WMF-hosted wikis, in particular the source IP address for the network connection.
The new IP address that wikis will see is 185.15.56.1.

The change is scheduled to go live on 2021-02-08.

More detailed information in wikitech:

  https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/News/CloudVPS_NAT_wikis

If you are a Cloud VPS user or Toolforge developer, check your tools after that
date to make sure they are properly running. If you detect a block, a rate-limit
or similar, please let us know.

If you are a WMF SRE or engineer involved with the wikis, be informed that this
address could generate a significant traffic volume, perhaps about 30%-40% total
wiki edits. We are trying to smooth the change as much as possible, so please
send your feedback if you think there is something we didn't account for yet.

Thanks, best regards.
--
Arturo Borrero Gonzalez
SRE / Wikimedia Cloud Services