[Wikimedia Chapters Reports] Non-officially recognized Wikimedia CAT, March 2010 report

J. G. Góngora ganastonia at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 4 23:26:19 UTC 2010

Dear Wikimedia partners,

Here we send our monthly report of the activities which are being carried out by Amical. Just as we did last month, when we sent you our February report. We are pleased to share our experiences with all of you.

Kind regards,
J. Gustavo Góngora Goloubintseff
User:Góngora.

Courses
and Conferences

*Friday
26 (Majorca), Monday 29 (Minorca), and Tuesday 30 (Eivissa), Viquibalear
contest prize-giving took place. Pau Cabot & Gomà.

*Wednesday
31 March. Meeting between the Open University of Catalonia (UOC), Catalonia's Government
Department of Education, and Amical Viquipèdia. Wikiletter's (Viquilletra) test
experience is confirmed. Four schools will start using it in May, while the
whole project will be carried on next course. User:Barcelona.

Relation
with entities

*Thursday
4th March. We had a meeting with the Castelldefels city council and the Center
for Regional Studies (Centre d'Estudis Comarcals) of Baix Llobregat to start
with the test Wikiproject:Castelldefels. This is part of the association's
collaboration with the Center for Regional Studies of Baix Llobregat. Further
information. KRLS

*Wednesday
10th March. Meeting with the Visual Artists Association of Catalonia. They
manage the Hangar space of Poble Nou, where one of the conferences of the Free
Culture Forum of Barcelona took place. One of the purposes is to sign an
agreement to have an editing workshop on Wikipedia on Hangar, having an
experienced person in edition to give support for the ones who need it and,
besides that, one of the aims is to have a Wikiproject in charge of enriching
the Wikipedia contents on visual arts. KRLS & Gomà.

*March
26. Meeting with the enterprise in charge of the Environment Information Point
of the Balearic Islands' Government. The aim is to sign an agreement with them
to let them use the vp:Portal:Ecologia. We would assist them with volunteers to
have some edition courses on Wikipedia. They will use the Wikipedia's book as a
starting point and some activities in this sense will be held for the purpose
of promoting Wikipedia and encouraging more people to use it on Balearic Islands
ecology-related articles. Gomà.

*March
26. Meeting with the General Director of Innovation and Teachers' Formation of
the Balearic Government. Their support for next year's edition of Viquibalear
is confirmed. One of the questions that arouse during the meeting was helping to develop software tools to
improve the system. They will enable us to involve the GD of linguistic
policy and the regional tourism ministry to achieve further economic support.
There is also the possibility of opening the project in other territories. Pau
Cabot & Gomà.

Release
of contents

*Thoughout
the conversations with the Visual Artists Association of Catalonia, we have agreed with the associated artists the possibility of releasing
images/files of low resolution of their works so that they can be uploaded
under CC SA license. The most suitable ones can be used for Wikipedia.

*At
the meeting with the GD of pedagogical innovation of the Balearic Government,
we have proposed the regional tourism ministry to release images/files to
illustrate those Balearic-related articles.

*We
have made contact with Vilapedia and they have agreed to upload their contents
under a compatible license with Wikipedia. They will soon update the license on
their website.

Media

*On
March 12, User:Góngora was interviewed by a Canadian local newspaper on the
present situation of minority languages on the Internet and Wikipedia. This
interview is still pendent to be published. We will keep on informing you about
this issue. Góngora.

*The
agreement with TV3 for the Espai Internet (Internet Space) program has started
to work fully. At TV3 weekend news they have dealt with topics linking to the
corresponding articles on Wikipedia, which had been improved before.

*Ona
Balear interviews User:Paucabot about Viquibalear. User:Paucabot.

Other
issues

*We
have made contact with the Institute for Catalan Studies to see if they can analyze
periodically the language quality in the articles of Wikipedia in Catalan. More
information soon. User:Gomà.

*We
have proposed the MNAC to carry on with a Wikipedian resident-like initiative. We
are still waiting for a response. More information soon. Gomà.