[Advocacy Advisors] Letter on digital security

Stephen LaPorte slaporte at wikimedia.org
Tue May 19 19:51:12 UTC 2015

Hi advocacy advisors,

I wanted to let you know that the Wikimedia Foundation joined a letter to
President Obama, asking him to reject legislation that would force
companies to deliberately weaken the security of their products. The letter
was organized thanks to TechFreedom, with a wide variety of co-signers with
a stake in digital security. Strong encryption and security are fundamental
for our work online, so this letter is worth supporting to ensure that
users can read and speak freely on our projects.

The full letter is available online:
http://docs.techfreedom.org/Encryption_Letter_to_Obama.pdf

Thanks,
Stephen

--
Stephen LaPorte
Legal Counsel

*NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and ethical
reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*