[Advocacy Advisors] InfoSoc Own-Initiative Report Vote Today

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Tue Jun 16 10:45:12 UTC 2015

I think the first is probably preferable as it sounds quite soft. I
especially like "invites" as it is completely non-confrontational.

Not sure which one will attract less opposition though...

Stevie

On 16 June 2015 at 11:39, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:

> @Marcin, in this case, anything that flies with the media and helps us
> change the text would work. The report that was adopted already calls for
> minimum standards for exceptions. We're not getting more, but we might get
> less.
>
> I think we should work on a very neutral, non-scary text as an amendment
> for the plenary. Perhaps something along the lines of:
>
> 16. Invites the EU legislator to recognise that the use of photographs,
> video footage or other images of works which are permanently located in
> public places is permitted.
>
> Otherwise, working on the original Cavada text, we could go for:
>
> 16. Considers that the *commercial* use of photographs, video footage or
> other images of works which are permanently located in physical public
> places should *always* be *permitted* *subject to prior authorisation
> from the authors or any proxy acting for them*.
>
> Which one is likely to attract less opposition?
>
> Dimi

>> On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, James Heald wrote:
>>
>> > I see this as a "Euro-sausage" issue -- a case of the EU threatening to
>> > interfere with UK laws, and make lots of good things illegal.
>>
>> Well, but this goes against the general idea of broad, harmonized
>> copyright exceptions which we support I think?
>>
>> ~Marcin

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*