[Advocacy Advisors] Mozilla Advocacy in Brussels

Yana Welinder yana at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 21 14:55:56 UTC 2015

+1.  We've also chatted with their policy team in San Francisco a little
bit and they have interesting initiatives in the pipeline. They recently
launched an online discussion space for internet policy that you may want
to check out: https://discourse.mozilla-advocacy.org

Thanks,
Yana

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 7:25 AM, Stevie Benton <
stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi Dimi,
>
> This is excellent news. I've done some work with Gervase in the past,
> including recently in some copyright workshops with Open Rights Group. He's
> really smart and I think he will be an excellent ally.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Stevie
>
> On 21 April 2015 at 14:21, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
> dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello, everybody!
>>
>> Me and Karl just had a meeting with Mozilla's Jochai (San Francisco
>> based) and Gervase (UK based and on this list). Mozilla will very quickly
>> get active in Brussels hiring a full-time representative.
>>
>> Their policy goals will be published soon and are centred around "not
>> breaking the internet" and copyright, with a focus on goals such as having
>> an "open norm" (i.e. fair use), an audiovisual citation exception and
>> fighting against linking liability.
>>
>> We're also likely to experience similar organisational challenges, as
>> they're also looking into a way to ensure a coherent message and strategy
>> and involve their volunteer community.
>>
>> I personally am excited that we'll have another advocate for free&open
>> things on the ground here.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dimi

> --
>
> Stevie Benton
> Head of External Relations
> Wikimedia UK+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
> @StevieBenton
>
> Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> *Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*

Yana Welinder
Senior Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6867
@yanatweets <https://twitter.com/yanatweets>

NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake.

As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical reasons I
cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community members,
volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. In other words,
IANYL <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IANAL>. For more on what this means,
please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.