[Advocacy Advisors] CETA [was Re: EU Monitoring Report - September 2014]

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 1 21:43:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:

> What happened?
> The consolidated text of the Canada-EU Trade Agreement (CETA) was released
> last week. [9] It contains chapters on IPR and e-commerce and rules on data
> protection. It talks a lot about Digital Rights Management, a circumvention
> prohibition thereof and a prohibition on software that can be used to
> circumvent DRM. It also has an article on IPR enforcement (Article 18),
> which foresees the seizure of property on alleged infringers, including
> blocking of bank accounts and assets. This sounds a lot like ACTA (I’d say
> about 80 percent of the text is identical). It is also intriguing, because
> we still have not harmonised copyright and enforcement rules in the EU,
> raising the question on what grounds the Commission is negotiating this
> with Canada.
> There’s also a so-called “follow the money” approach for pursuing
> infringers who knowingly violate copyright law. They can be asked to pay
> compensations which would include alleged lost profits.
>
> What comes next?
> The major question here is, if this treaty is out of scope for the
> European Commission. If it touches upon policies which are not the
> exclusive competence of the EU, it would have to be ratified by the
> European Parliament, the Council and the parliaments of the 28 Member
> States. If it falls within EU law an okay from the Parliament and Council
> would be enough.
> It is also important in light of the talks on a similar EU-US trade
> agreement (TTIP). The negotiation logic in free trade agreements is that if
> you offer something to Canada, you’ll have to offer at least the same
> conditions to the USA.

Is there any good commentary/summary elsewhere on the details of this? And
are any of the activist groups trying to organize around it?

Luis
--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*