[Advocacy Advisors] Wikimedia UK response to new UK orphan works rules

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Fri Nov 7 10:59:13 UTC 2014

When I consider this issue, I tend to come back to the fact that orphan
works tend to be orphans for a reason - either the rights holder is no
longer around, or nobody knows (or can easily find) the appropriate person
or people. I think the idea of a diligent search is a good one, and is a
good way to demonstrate that those who want to use orphan works are doing
so responsibly and appropriately.

However, I don't like the idea of the cost involved in acquiring a license.
A solution that could work - and I'm no copyright expert! - is an
additional provision to the existing frameworks that allows for some kind
of fair use of orphan works, after a diligent search and in a limited way,
but is *revocable if the rights holder comes forward* within a period of,
say, two years. After this two year period the orphan works would revert to
the public domain. This may allow for limited use initially under an ND-NC
licence which becomes much more open after that set period of time elapses.

Is that practical? I have no idea, but I am sure some folks on this list
can tell me!

Stevie