[Advocacy Advisors] Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality

Jens Best jens.best at wikimedia.de
Sat May 31 12:54:29 UTC 2014

News from Chile

Chile’s Subsecretaria de Telecomunicaciones just decided that zero-rating
is a promotion tool which is against net neutrality. Therefore all
zero-rated-related marketing deals have to stop at the 1st of June.
According to a WMF-list in Chile no provider has been offering Wikipedia
Zero. Also I'm not sure if this dismissal reflects only on zero-rated
offers where payment of money is done by the content provider. So it still
needs to be checked how/if this decision is influencing our intent to
spread Wikipedia Zero.

All in all it shows that we have to improve our arguments in a broader
scale if we don't want to get caught by promoting Free Knowledge" but in
fact 'only' pushing the use of a reduced version of one (very well known
and superb) website which stand exemplary for this idea. We are caught in a
dilemma which imho only can be solved when reaching out to more partners
which stand for Free Knowledge and Free Education. Not sure how this could
work, but fortunately that never was a reason to stop.

News from Chile:

http://qz.com/215064/when-net-neutrality-backfires-chile-just-killed-free-access-to-wikipedia-and-facebook/

http://www.subtel.gob.cl/noticias/138-neutralidad-red/5311-ley-de-neutralidad-y-redes-sociales-gratis?_ga=1.143290485.1915805894.1400742323

Overview Wikipedia Zero:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships

> I have to agree with Jens and Dimi here that this op-ed is wading into
> possibly dangerous waters, and appreciate that the WMF has sought
> feedback on this before launching.
>
> I am rolling my eyes a bit to see this op-ed draft suggesting that the
> negatives havent been considered. ("unintended consequences";
> "unintentionally hamper the free flow of information they seek to
> protect", etc) They have been talked about to death!  The problem is
> deciding which 'information' to protect, and often the verdict is that
> it is better to keep carriers and/or governments out of the
> information flow protection game, unless it is very transparent, *but*
> the purist model of net neutrality (which eliminates 'free' services)
> is usually viewed as stifling innovation and governments tend to avoid
> limitations on industry offering free services to customers.  There
> was a vibrant session about it at the last Internet Governance Forum
> (did WMF staff attend the last one? Will you attend the next one?).
> It is good to see you (Yana) is a member of the Dynamic Coalition on
> Network Neutrality. [1]
>
> If the WMF wants to put out a quick response to the developments in
> Brazil, it would be less abrasive to focus on congratulating those
> involved in drafting for making a strong stand on privacy but not
> eliminating the ability for ISPs to provide free services like
> Wikipedia Zero.  Irrespective of whether they are offering Facebook,
> Twitter, Wikipedia, or Google, free access to content (esp. large
> platforms) helps people participate online.  Free content can be
> anti-competitive, but can be dealt with by laws better tailored to
> that problem.
>
> I would think that it would be remiss of the WMF to put out an Op-Ed
> now on net neutrality that doesnt take into account the very recent
> developments in the EU policy in this area.[2]  It seems like the
> civil rights organisations in the EU are quite happy with the result,
> and it would be a shame if WMF was promoting a view that was in
> conflict with that.  I am not fully across the detail of that;
> hopefully someone else can give a summary of the EU situation.  If the
> EU's decision doesnt prevent Wikipedia Zero, and it appears that it
> doesnt, then this is another opportunity to thank the relevant
> organisations for crafting a sensible approach, and encourage other
> Net Neutrality lawmakers to do the same.
>
> I am surprised to see this op-ed painting the Dutch law in a bad light
> without some concrete examples to back up the concerns. ("However the
> Dutch law would also prohibit ISPs from providing free access to
> certain sites, as they would technically be charging different rates
> (in this case, nothing) for different services.")  Yes, some types of
> Internet access packages are now illegal in the Netherlands, but Dutch
> Internet providers have continued bundling free services into their
> [...]

Jens Best
Präsidium
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
web: http://www.wikimedia.de
mail: jens.best <http://goog_17221883>@wikimedia.de

Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/681/51985.