[Advocacy Advisors] meeting with Google on 'right to be forgotten'

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Fri May 30 13:04:51 UTC 2014

The Foundation has been in regular contact with Google on this issue since
the day after the ruling. I have not been directly involved, and am not
clear to what extent what we know about Google's approach can be shared, so
I can't provide many details.

With that in mind, a few reminders:
- Google is big enough now that they have some communications problems.
Whoever you are talking to may not realize that other parts of Google have
already been talking to WMF.
- Whoever you are talking to may not be familiar with our hosting and
liability structure, which may cause them to make bad assumptions about how
the ruling impacts us, or about who you are speaking for. Make sure to look
out for those assumptions and clarify then quickly.
- You should be careful to distinguish your opinions as Wikimedians from
our legal position on the applicability of the decision. For example, if
you think we should do more in this area, please make sure to clarify that
that is because you think it is the right thing, not necessarily because
you think WMF is legally obliged to do anything.

With those reminders aside, I would be interested to hear this group's
thoughts on next steps here from a Wikimedian *cultural* perspective.
Ignore the legal question for the moment: should editors be handling things
differently than they currently do? The same?...?

Thanks-
Luis