[Advocacy Advisors] FCC approves plan to allow for paid priority on Internet

Yana Welinder ywelinder at wikimedia.org
Wed May 21 05:07:54 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I wanted to provide a quick update on this now that we've had a chance to
review the 180+ page notice.

The FCC is proposing rules that would require ISPs to be transparent about
the provision of their services and prohibit blocking of lawful content and
"commercially unreasonable practices."  The FCC would determine whether
particular practices are  "commercially unreasonable" on a case-by-case
basis based on a number of factors. The rules would require ISPs to provide
a "minimum level of access" to the Internet, which is basically our current
internet connection. But they leave open the possibility of ISPs developing
"fast lanes" for businesses that negotiate deals with ISPs for faster
access (as long as the deals are not "commercially unreasonable").

Based on a recent court decision striking down the FCC's previous Open
Internet rules, the FCC may not have the power to ban fast lanes under
Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act, which is the basis for the
proposal. The FCC is therefore asking for comments on whether it should
reclassify ISPs as "common carriers" under Title II of the Act, which would
give it the power prohibit fast lanes. The FCC is also soliciting feedback
on whether it should expressly prohibit fast lanes.

If ISPs create fast lanes, they may not have an incentive to maintain and
develop the "slow lane." The concern is that only companies that can afford
being in a fast lane will be able to benefit from improvements, creating a
gap between large companies and nonprofits and start-ups. The Wikimedia
projects would probably not be in a fast lane for financial and policy
reasons. This means that users may get slower access to the projects than
to some other sites. The same thing may happen with blogs and various
online sources that Wikimedians rely on to develop content on the projects.

I attended a meeting earlier today about the FCC's proposal where many of
the companies and organizations that sent letters to the FCC in
anticipation of the proposal were represented. It seems that many of them
may be submitting comments in the 60 day public comment period to ask the
FCC to reclassify ISPs as "common carriers" under Title II and prohibit
fast lanes.

Best,
Yana

@yanatweets <https://twitter.com/yanatweets>